Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron[_4_] Ron[_4_] is offline

Default LED's as substitute for HPS

Hi,

I read about some NASA experiments with blue and red LED's for growing
vegetables in space.

Anyone here who has experience with this?

In times when everybody is complaining about the price of electricity it
seems natural to think about replacing all kinds of lamps with LED's.

But then there is the question of effeciency and wave lenghts.

I read that in principle plants only need blue and red light to grow and
prosper. If I remember correctly it was 450 nm and 675 nm light that was
most suitable.

But what about IR and UV? No other wave lenght? Plants don't need that at
all?

And if this information is correct, what is the right balance between those
2 components. I have seen conflicting information. In one case they said the
red-blue ratio should be 3:1, while others say almost the opposite.

I want to run some small tests with some very fast growing plants,
preferably edible. Any suggestions what vegetable/herb would be most
suitable?

Ron
Norway