Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Gardening in rainy weather and how to dry out the mud

On Feb 2, 6:44�pm, "Zootal" wrote:
Question: I have an old plastic 10' diameter swimming pool liner. If I were
to spread that on the ground, would the soil under it dry out enough that I
could work with it (dig in it, plant stuff, etc.)? I'm in the mid Wilammette
Valley, Oregon, and it rains and rains and rains this time of year, and my
entire back yard is mud, and remains mud until late April, maybe not until
May.

If anything that plastic liner will prevent the ground underneath from
drying until long after the surrounding ground dries. Sounds like
your only salvation is raised bed gardening, or at least build up a
berm for a planting bed. But in your area farmers don't work their
ground until early may anyway, it's too wet earlier, but more
importantly it's too cold outdoors to plant earlier. Planting too
early actually puts you behind, your seeds/seedlings if not damaged
will die... and with many crops (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.)
once damaged they will never fully recover, it would be best to
replant. Planting a little late will actually be a head start.
What's your big rush... if you insist on getting an early start then
you need a greenhouse.