Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Chopping down Conifers

J15ess wrote:

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?
We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden.

If they're large conifers than they've been there many years, dropping
needles and taking soil nutrients... it's not the best location for a
garden, certainly not a vegetable garden. You can attempt to amend
that soil but it will take many years, probably as many years as those
conifers have been growing there.. will cost many dollars and require
lots of labor. It's best to find a different location for your
garden, and perhaps utilize those large conifers as a backdrop for
other plantings that require that acetic soil. You might want to
consult an arborist to at least have a look, perhaps some less severe
remedy can be offered rather than total removal. Anyway, cutting down
conifers is very easy.. protecting yourself and surrounding property
is more difficult... if you had to ask on the net you are probably not
up to the task, I'd strongly recommend you hire a professional.