Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery Weed

In article ,
says...

I am new to the UK from the US and haved moved into a wonderful cottage
with a rather extensive but overgrown garden. There is something(I can
only assume that it is a weed) that has taken over virtually every inch
of the beds, but after scouring the internet, I have been unable to
identify it. Can anyone help? I would also appreciate any advice on
eradicating it. I would like to clear my beds and plant, but would hate
for it to take over again, as it looks like it is quite aggressive. Any
help would be great!

|Filename: garden weeds.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=8082|

Malisobel

That looks like one of the comphreys, probably symphitum ibericum (check
the spelling!) its difficult to control on heavy soils but on my light
soil makes a good well behaved ground cover under trees etc
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk