Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 1940's Garden

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:36:35 +0000, K wrote:
| johannes writes
| K wrote:
|
| But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?
|
| Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
| which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
| that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
| mint with new potatoes.
|
| Yuk!
|
| I suspect there's things about your national cooking that we would find
| equally unpalatable.
|
| and at least we try them.

The use of mint in such contexts isn't exactly an English invention;
it is heavily used in many of the "Middle Eastern" traditions. They
often use different mints (often ones adapted to hotter, drier areas),
but the flavours are similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.