Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Industrial Pig slaughter down side.

In article ,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article

You shut down all emotions eventually. You just can't care
about anything. Because if you care about something, it opens
the gate to all those bad feelings that you can't afford to feel
and still do your job. You have bills to pay. You have to eat. But,
you don't want chicken. You have to be really hungry to eat
that. You know what goes into every bite. All the horror and
negativity. All the brutality. Concentrated into every bite. . . .
Welcome to the nightmare I escaped."

I'm sure that I don't know why this is in this group but I'll bite
anyway.

The reason is that this group is not just about boxwood hedges but food
production as well (gardens). As such the subject of nutrition as well
as industrial food production have had a place in this group. You will
also find farm animals occasionally referred to as sources of manure or
garden damage.

If you read the entire post, you will see that it had to do with the
abhorrence and, illegality, of torturing your food.

Survivalism wouldn't seem to have much relevance to gardening either,
since gardening is a civilized endeavor far removed from the life of a
hunter-gatherer, even if the practice of the former did arise from the
habits of the latter. Personally, I'd rather contemplate a freshly
sliced garden tomato, topped with a couple of basil leaves and a slice
of mozzarella. Whatever spins your wheels I guess.

The writer needs to go out into the bush, with very little food,
and spend a week hiking or something that involves a lot of
physical activity, as I have. There is a difference between being
hungry, and I mean really hungry, and merely "politely interested
in the dainties of one's larder"

You will find out 2 things if you do this:

1) The human body can thrive on far, far, less food that we are
normally used to eating - all you need is water and exercise.

2) When you get truly hungry, and I mean truly hungry, you will
find out that you will have absolutely no compunction about ripping
the head off any animal you come across and cooking it and eating
it. And it will taste really, really good.

The only thing that separates human civilization from human
barbarianism is a full stomach.

Very testosterone of you Ted. I'll walk down this path with you long
enough to reflect with you on the fate of the Donner party. Even when
down to eating their belts and shoes, some of them kept diaries.
Reflecting upon seeing a naked foot print in the snow, one of them
wrote, "If you wouldn't eat an Indian, you've never been hungry". It
apparently wasn't a great leap from that moral stance to eating your
traveling companions. As far as I know, though, they just ate them. They
didn't torture them first.

Ted

Bon appétit
--