Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Plastic Bottle greenhouse !

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Came across this by accident :

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,163.sm

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

:~))

Interesting, but I believe that PET is not particularly stable under UV
light. It would probably not be too long before the greenhouse
disintegrated.

The rotary bird scarers I made out of such bottles lasted 3 years before
falling apart. This is interesting, and gives the kids something to do,
but it's only delaying the inevitable. In fact it can be argued that it's
an environmental disbenefit rather than benefit, since the bottles used in
this way can no longer be recycled, or so I'm told.

Steve

I line my GH with plastic bubble wrap, and that lasts several years before
disintegrating. I'd imagine the bottles would last longer, being thicker....
Jenny