Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 1940's Garden

In article ,
johannes writes:

| When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
| similar countries.
|
| Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
| are mutually incomprehensible from one another. The only thing in common
| is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
| tons of cheese.

Er, their languages are really rather similar from a global perspective,
you know. They are also small, flat, located in north-west Europe, with
strong maritime traditions and good seaports, have a high proportion of
cyclists and so on and so forth.

Think about my comparison with Guyana and Georgia!

| Yes, I agree that there is no excuse for the Little Englanders - but that
| is a generic statement.
|
| But why doesn't it work the other way around? I mean, why aren't the Dutch
| assumed to be Danish by default?

God alone knows. There's no making sense of what passes for Little
Englanders' logic. They can't spell Maclaren correctly, either, even
with hundreds of correct spellings to choose from, and Scotland isn't
even as far away as Denmark (though it is as far as Holland from the
home counties, which is the only place that seems to count).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.