Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Mystery Weed

In article ,
K writes:

| There is one leaf in the picture, a little way up from the bottom RH
| corner, which could superficially be mistaken for Enchanter's
| Nightshade. The others are wrong, being too dull and too undulating -
| Enchanter's Nightshade leaves are small and lie smoothly.

Hmm. It may well be that what I have is not that - I shall have to let
one weed flower and identify it properly.

| But the killer is the flowers which are unmistakeably
| forget-me-not/comfrey family and are right for comfrey. And totally
| wrong for Enchanter's nightshade (which has small flowers towards the
| top of the shoots).

I misread the picture, and thought that they were extraneous.

| It is perfectly possible for some of the comfreys to have small leaves,
| especially when growing in shade or poor soil.

I should be flabberghasted if the common one grew like that, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.