Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Mystery Weed

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| I didn't suggest it was the common one, I thought it may have been
| Symphitum ibericum Creeping comfrey (certainly not officinale which is
| large and blue flowered.) I knew this as S grandiflorum for years but am
| told what I have is a garden form of ibiricum, it has cream flowers with
| a pink edge in spring and early summer, there are also plain cream
| flowered forms around, I think describing the flowers as yellow is
| stretching the point!

Perhaps I should say, at this point, that I had misjudged the picture,
and thought the flowers belonged to something else! NOT very clever
of me :-)

Until I looked it up, I didn't even know that there were other native
comfreys, though I knew that there were other natives in that family.
It's S. officinale that it so clearly isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.