Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Andrew G

Default Grevillia Allergy

"Willow" wrote in message
Hi

I have a couple of Grevillias in my front garden beds. Although I love the
plants, I seem to be allergic to them as I break out in itchy, dry rashes,
that feel a lot like a burn, whenever I touch them. I would like to dig

them
out, but don't really want to have to deal with more rashes. Unfortunately

don't know anyone nearby who could remove them for me & wearing clothing
covering my skin doesn't seem to help. Is there any easy way I can remove
them from out of my garden?

--
Wanda
aka Willow

Hi Willow
Do you get the rash after feeling a slight spike from the plant, i.e.
Touching the tips of the leaf?
Or does touching the smooth part of the leaf give you the rash?

If it's the first then:
The typical type Grevillea such as banksii (with the long big flowers) has
very small spikes at the tips of it's leaves that if they break off in your
skin will develop a rash or even a pimple where each thorn is.
If it's that type don't kill it first before removing as the dead leaves
only seem to make it worse.
Others like rosmarinifolia(sp?) are much worse and will give anyone a rash.
Removing dead ones is much safer than green ones.
We had to remove many healthy rosmarinifolias last week.
What we did was wait 'till a rainy day, put on a raincoat and gloves and go
for it. Cut off all the branches from the base first, then dig the base out.
It's about the only effective way not to get spiked and rashes, unless you
can get someone else to do it.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply