Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moving an apple tree

In article ,
says...

Hello everyone,

I moved into my little terrace about a year ago, and inherited a bit of
a miss match garden.

I have lots of shingle and bark, and some random shrubs in one bed on
one side of my garden....

I also have an apple tree in the top corner of my garden which produced
quite a bounty of apples this autumn, even though it is obviously still
young (10 foot high and spindley).

I want to either deck, or patio this top end of my garden and build in
seating to the side which will cover the area the apple tree currently
sits in.

Can I safely move it into a large pot? As I am hoping to remove the
hotch botch bed altogether. Or will I have to build round it?

Any help is much appreciated!

A ten foot tree will have a big root ball, you will not be able to get
all of it out so will need to reduce the size of the tree first, you may
not get apples this year, the tree would long term be happiest in the
ground as it sounds too large to be one of the mineture sorts people put
in pots.
If it were me I would leave it be and build around it, who knows we may
get a summer where some shade would be welcome!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk