Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Johannes Andersen Johannes Andersen is offline

Default 1940's Garden

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:40:46 +0000, johannes
wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:34:26 +0000, johannes
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
johannes writes:

| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

That is not everybody's opinion. There is a very good Levantine dip
made of peas, strongly flavoured with mint.

| or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?
|
| Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
| two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
| to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
| competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
| very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
| but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries.

Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
are mutually incomprehensible from one another.

Yeah right.

The only thing in common
is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
tons of cheese.

and bacon.

The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.

Friesland was part of Denmark at one time.

Not to my knowledge. When was that may I ask?