Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Sue

Default Grevillia Allergy

I too suffer from a very severe allergy to grevillea, so badly that the
only thing that at one time I had to go to hospital because the rash had
gone all over my body and turned to septicaemia. (wrong spelling I am
sure). Anyway, I didn't want to get rid of all of them because I love the
birds that they attracted. My answer was to removed the ones that I was
likely to brush past - fortunately I had a very large garden. One thing I
did find over the years was that I could actually trim the Winpana Grevillea
and not be affected provided that the weather was cool and I wasn't
sweating!! I would always go and have a good shower after. Robyn Gordon
was another matter I would put on a long sleeved shirt and rubber gloves to
trim that one and I made sure it stayed at a low height so that I never had
to lean against it. Again when finished it was off to the shower and then
all of the clothes went straight to the wash.

It is unfortunately when you get an allergy like this especially if you
are an avid gardener who likes to do it yourself. Everyone told me to rip
the lot out but in the end I found that I had reached a solution that worked
for both the grevilleas and me!!

Another quick tip. I am definitely not a person that reaches straight
for the medicine chest but if you do start feeling like "they got you" an
antihistamine tablet could be the answer. Speak to your local chemist.

Good Luck.

Sue Karratha Western Australia