Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Prune 1 yr old butterfly bushes?

In article ,
Paul Ferguson wrote:

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:19:49 -0500, Bill R
wrote:

Thanks for the information. One thing I was assuming is if I prune my
butterfly bushes they will grow bigger and fuller than if I do not
prune them. Is this correct? Since they are only about 3-4 feet tall,
I do not need to prune them just to reduce their size or modify their
shape.

Thanks,
PaulF

On 2008-02-04 20:47:24 -0500, Paul Ferguson said:

I read about pruning butterfly bushes, but I have several bushes
planted last April. They are now about 4 feet tall. Should these
bushed be pruned back to 1-2 feet high as recommended for more mature
bushes?

PaulF

Prune it back near the last frost date. Don't do it now.

As someone who has grown Butterfly bushes for many years, I can say that
that is really BAD advice. New growth starts WAY before the last frost
date and if you cut back the bush then you are likely to have less
blooms that season.

I cut mine after about the second hard freeze in the late fall or early
winter. Then, in the spring, I trim lightly if needed (mainly for
"form").

If you did not cut them at all yet, I would do it now BEFORE any new
growth starts.

Next time, google it.
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/mvv2-94.htm

According to Mountain Valley Growers, you can whack it back to the
ground, whether it is dormant or vegetative, and it will bounce back. If
it is budding or pushing, you will have wasted some of it's energy
reserves, which will reduce its' vigor but you won't seriously damage
it. With grape vines, if you prune just before bud break, it will delay
budding a couple of weeks and may get you past a late frost before it
starts to push.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars