Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Allotments

On 6/2/08 17:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:45:36 -0000, Charlie Pridham

wrote:

In article ,

says...
We are stunned here in Swinton (Manchester) we have been charged a 10 %
increase for no additional services -now
£ 38.50.

Jimbo ;o(

Incidentally forgive my naivety but how is a 'Rod' measured ?

Used to be quite literally with a measuring rod, it is equivalent to 16.5
feet, and sometimes refered to a pole, you will find large old buildings
like cathederals are often laid out in multiples of rods, for longer
lengths a chain was used

100 links = 1 chain
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile
4 inches = 1 hand
22 yards = 1 chain
5.5 yards = 1 rod, pole or perch
4 poles = 1 chain
40 poles = 1 furlong

Area was measured in roods amongst other thing

1 furlong x 1 pole = 1 rood
40 (sq) poles = 1 rood
1210 square yards = 1 rood
1 furlong x 1 chain = 1 acre
4 roods = 1 acre
160 (sq) poles = 1 acre
4840 square yards = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 square mile

Thank Gawd for the metric system.

But it's so bland, so boring. Thank God for Ye Olde English, if only
because it IS ours! I'm really intrigued that in house sale advertisements,
land is still measured in hectares in some cases.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk