Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Allotments

On 6/2/08 22:18, in article ,
"Zhang DaWei" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:54:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

Area was measured in roods amongst other thing

1 furlong x 1 pole = 1 rood
40 (sq) poles = 1 rood
1210 square yards = 1 rood
1 furlong x 1 chain = 1 acre
4 roods = 1 acre
160 (sq) poles = 1 acre
4840 square yards = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 square mile

Thank Gawd for the metric system.

A concert pianist was invited to the Embassy of Poland to give a
recital. Instead of playing the music of Chopin, Beethovem Greig,
Liszt, and others all evening, he decided to "jazz it up" a bit and
began to regale with them Scott Joplin, Gershwin, and so on. The
guests were outraged at this and threw him bodily out into the night
and onto the pavement. Angered, the pianist got to his feet and
started swearing long, loudly, and fouly at the embassy, which greatly
offended a pair of old ladies passing by. He realised his mistake, and
turning to them gently explained. "I'm very sorry, but you must
realise that forty square poles do make one rood."

I'm get my coat...

I do like that - definitely a cut above some of the punny stuff!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk