Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default 1940's Garden

In article ,
says...

Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

In article ,

says...

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:21:22 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"johannes" wrote
The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a
certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in
school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.

The Dutch learn English, French and German at school too and are also pretty
quick at picking up other languages.....

Dutch and German are indeed similar and Danish has a completely different
ring to it :!)

It sounds different, but has similar roots.

Similar in a sense that English and Spanish have similar roots.

Not as similar as the roots of English, Dutch, Danish, German and
Swedish. How much language history or linguistics do you know?

If you go to that extent, then all language have a common root. It is not

And this is the point where you're way off the mark. They don't.

surprising that languages have some words in common, I know that the word
blomkål or blomkaal is the same in Danish and Dutch. However, the structure
of the languages are very different just like Danish and German are different.

But they're not. Trust me, I did 5 years of this at university.

The scandinavian languages are in the same family, hence I can understand
Norwegian and Swedish conversation, although I can't write them correctly..
It really sounds to me like you don't know very much, but never mind.

Aw, bless. Just the two degrees, I admit. How many degrees do you have
in linguistic studies?