Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
George \(dicegeorge\) George \(dicegeorge\) is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning - vents to my woodburners

However two open fireplaces and underflooor vents to feed em take a lot of
heat out when they are not burning.

im thinking of fitting underfloor vents to my woodburners,
which should stop draughts coming in through doors and windows,
but
arent they meant to be able to be closed when the fires not on,
and the chimney cleverly muffled,
so there is a lot less draughts and heat loss?

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ ~
~ 07970 378 572 ~
~
www.dicegeorge.com ~
~ (c)2008 ~
~ ~

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 28 Jan 2008 11:33:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

Jesus, do you live in Siberia and have a prediliction for sauna-like
temperatures? 1000 litres of oil lasts us nearly a year.

I think he lives, like us, in an old solid stone house.

Nope. Brand new timber framed.

To latest building regs.

However two open fireplaces and underflooor vents to feed em take a lot of
heat out when they are not burning.

In las with 6 bed house of similar size, but less well insulated and rick,
burn even more. I am getting by on 3500-400 liters a year..they need
4000-5000. Even with open fires as well.

I'd say the house is equivalent to three 'modern' 4 bed houses stuck
together.

Admitedly we are exposed and at 1,400'. We used to get through about
4,000l year. It's lower now maybe 3,500 or even a bit less since the
really drafty windows were replace with double glazing. Daytime temp is
18.5C on the stat going up to 20 for the evening, heating is off over
night.

similar temps here. Except we have given up on the UFH downstairs
altogether till Sunvic send a replacement stat, so thats down around
14-15c from heat bleed from the Aga only.

If we live in the kitchen office and bedroom ONLY thats about 1/3rd of the
oil burned.