Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Prune 1 yr old butterfly bushes?

symplastless wrote:

On 2008-02-04 20:47:24 -0500, Paul Ferguson said:

I read about pruning butterfly bushes, but I have several bushes
planted last April. They are now about 4 feet tall. Should these
bushed be pruned back to 1-2 feet high as recommended for more mature
bushes?

PaulF

Prune it back near the last frost date. Don't do it now.

As someone who has grown Butterfly bushes for many years, I can say that
that is really BAD advice. New growth starts WAY before the last frost
date and if you cut back the bush then you are likely to have less blooms
that season.

I cut mine after about the second hard freeze in the late fall or early
winter. Then, in the spring, I trim lightly if needed (mainly for
"form").

If you did not cut them at all yet, I would do it now BEFORE any new
growth starts.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Bill, I have great respect for you and agree with your diagnosis and
treatment recommendations. Keep up the good work!

I would say this guy can be trusted. By the words that he uses.

Thank you John.