Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bob Walsh Bob Walsh is offline

Default Orchid problem

Tobacco and Orchids make a bad combination. Tobacco is a source of mosaic
virus which readily infects orchids.

You don't even want smokers in your growing areas.

Bob
"Marios Giannakoulias" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 7:32 pm, Roots wrote:
Hi,
First post here.
I repotted my orchids two weeks ago with orchid compost which had been
outside. A few days later I noticed flies - lots of flies and killed as
many as I could. One of my orchids that I couldn't salvage was dying at

get some tobacco (like from a package of cigarretes), put some boiling
water to it in a jug, one-two drops of liquid regular dishwasher soap,
dilute it to a bucket, and start soaking plants and pots... it s a
very effecti ve way to kill the beasts.

the time.
I could only put this down to flies laying eggs in the compost outside.
What I'm worried about is that my plants will be damaged.
I have just purchased some new compost and not sure if I should repot
them again so soon - but obviously don't want the flies to do any more
damage.
Should I soak them in water in a bucket and repot them tomorrow? Do you
think they could handle more handling? Do you think they will be
permanently damaged?

Very grateful for any advice

--
Roots