Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Strawberry orientation

SteveB said:

I'm going to put in some strawberries. Is there any advantage to the
orientation? I can plant it in several locations, shielded in each
directions. Would this make a difference, say in winter, when they would be
sheltered from the north wind. Or in the summer when they would be
sheltered from the afternoon heat?

I'd always prefer afternoon shade to morning shade. First, because
plants usually do better in that situation and then because if you are
picking strawberries after a day's work, it is more comfortable to work
in the shade. And strawberries (in my experience) do fine with little bit
of shade.

(attributed to Don Marti)