Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Spring already?

I've watched hawthorn leaves start to expand around here over the past
few days and the hazels are ever further forward. Everywhere, Prunus
cerasifera 'Purpurea' is in full flower creating great clouds of pale
lilac pink and the Magnolias are pushing their protective bracts off
as their flower buds swell. I'll not tempt providence by claiming
spring has arrived here, but it does seem that both native and exotic
plants are convinced. 3 weeks ago, blackbirds were sparring on the
marshes close to work and just yesterday a pair of goldcrests were
being ever-so-slightly amorous irrespective of my presence barely 4
yards away.