Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default New Zealand gardens

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by
now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got
any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but
obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves,
as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

being a local I can recommend some gardens round about my district. The
local Hamilton City Gardens I think are very nice. Me, my wife & mutts walk
there from time to time. Hamilton also has some great river walks, best seen
with dogs in tow. All of the following are open to the public. This one is
free.
http://www.hamiltongardens.co.nz

My home town, just down the road from hamilton. Small but very colourful &
fragrant rose gardens worth 10-15 poke around. Free.
http://www.teawamutu.co.nz/local-inf...egarden1.shtml

Just out of Hamilton a large arboretum and a very nice stroll in Autumn as
leaves change colour. Small charge.
http://www.gardens.org.nz/garden_fin...x.html?lid=318

Water garden over up the coromandel (a nice beach area, alternative/hippy
hideaway & great national forests). My mum & auntie from Birmingham enjoyed
this. Small charge.
http://www.waiauwaterworks.co.nz

On the way to Coromandel, similar set up. Ma & auntie also like this. Small
charge.
http://www.ngateawatergardens.co.nz

Pukekura Park in New Plymouth, my wifes home town. Lovely park stretched
over a hilly area. Over Christmas/January they have lights set all around
the park. NP is 2-3 hours down country from hamilton and has some lovely sea
side villages where beach baches now cost the average working man a life
times wage. Used to be dirt cheap a few years ago before city folk
discovered them. Free
http://www.gardens.org.nz/garden_fin...ex.html?lid=14

Further a field I can suggest the Wellington Botanic gardens. Set on the top
of a hill overlooking Wellington City. Great views & an interesting trip up
from the CBD via cable car.
http://friendswbg.org.nz/

THE nz backyard garden bible is the Yates Garden Guide. I have a copy & my
old man had a copy from 35 years back.
http://www.yates.co.nz/products/book...-garden-guide/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartim...005a20517.html

rob