Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis Travis is offline

Default dividing bamboo

seneca wrote:
I have 3 bamboo plants (clump forming Phyllostachys aurea or golden
bamboo) and they are currently growing as 3 fat columns about a metre
apart. I want to move them to another part of the garden and spread
them out to cover a rather ugly fence. WHat I was wondering was, could
I divide the bamboo into say 8 smaller plants and put them in a line
with very little spacing between them. This way they would act like a
screen and cover the whole fence. BTW - the bamboo is about 3m tall and
each root is abou 40cm wide. Is dividing them a wise thing to do, or
will I end up with 8 dead bamboo plants. Any tips on how to split them
(roots are solid like a block of wood) and not wreck the roots. Also,
any tips on how to give them the best possible start.
(I read on an american website that there should be 3 canes in each
section and this should be trimmed to 0.5m high. And this chaps soaks
the roots in a bath of rooting hormone! sounds a bit crazy to me. I
have never trimmed the height of bamboo, just left it to grow tall.
What happens if it is trimmed? does it carry on growing upwards, or
does it just die back?)
that's all folks
(UK)

Phyllostachys are not clumping bamboo.

You have 3 distinct plants and each has 3 culms?

Me thinks it is best to not divide them. Moving them is OK. Bamboo is
a grass and yours will do best in full sun. Mulch well with rotted
manure if you have it or even just wood chips.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington