Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My Garden in the Auvergne

I have been in the garden a while today, the sun is beautiful and it
is warm. The bulbs are finally coming through but the tuplips are
more advanced that the daffs!

I can see small growth on the periniels and something just poking
through, it looks like the tip of a daffodil but I think it is a
Lily. I brought a dwarf Rhodendron from the UK in a large pot and I
wonder if I should put that into the ground now or leave it in the pot
for another few weeks?

The common mimosa trees are all pruned now to try and make them into a
boule as they were huge, unfortunately it's too cold to grown the one
we had in England in the Conservatory, the one with the pretty fluffy
yellow flowers. It will be interesting to see what I have to nurture
here as I brought all my Dahlias which were in huge pots, in the UK I
never gave them any cover and they were fine, I wonder if they will
survive here.

As I continue my ramble here, I bought 36 packets of seeds yesterday
at Lidl, I think it was Martin who educated me on the value of Lidl
and I went when I saw their advert in Issoire. I will try black
carrot this year as I have never had it before. I couldn't get
parsnip seed so I will be in the UK in 2 weeks time and I will get it
there. Edward is the veg gardener and I am the flower one. He bought
some melon seed but I'm not sure they will grow here but he will give
it a try. Now I have to go and finish packing although I would much
rather be in the garden, it feels so good to be out there again, it
makes me feel glad to be alive.

Judith