Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Spring already?

Dave Hill wrote:
About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Several honeybees on the Mahonia flowers this morning. And, oddly enough, a
couple of houseflies.

Quite used to seeing bumblebees around, but never seen honeybees out this
early before (W. Sussex)

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)