Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default New Zealand gardens

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:14:46 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and back!)
from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of next year, even
though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but by
now
there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has anyone got
any
particular recommendations? We won't be seeing gardens only but
obviously,
those will be a major attraction for us! We intend to drive ourselves,
as
and where the whim takes us but I want to start planning with the aid of
online maps, some of which show specific driving tours. I want, also, to
get him some books appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any
suggestions will be most welcome.

By chance a year or so ago I picked up a S/H book on NZ gardens (The
New Garden Heritage of New Zealand, Mary Burnard, Phoenix Press, 1990,
ISBN 0 9597712 1 2. Try for it on ABE
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry )

Monty Don visited gardens in New Zealand on his Around the World in 80
Gardens and as we will be in New Zealand in January 2009 we will be visiting
some. We then go on to Alice Springs and will be visiting some of the
Gardens there and in Sydney :-))

Mike

:-))

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National