Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Spring already?

On 9 Feb, 15:48, Judith in France wrote:
On Feb 9, 1:32*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

On 9 Feb, 11:37, Sacha wrote:

On 8/2/08 18:35, in article
, "Dave

Poole" wrote:
I've watched hawthorn leaves start to expand around here over the past
few days and the hazels are ever further forward. *Everywhere, Prunus
cerasifera 'Purpurea' is in full flower creating great clouds of pale
lilac pink and the Magnolias are pushing their protective bracts off
as their flower buds swell. *I'll not tempt providence by claiming
spring has arrived here, but it does seem that both native and exotic
plants are convinced. *3 weeks ago, blackbirds were sparring on the
marshes close to work and just yesterday a pair of goldcrests *were
being ever-so-slightly amorous irrespective of my presence barely 4
yards away.

Yes, the birds round here are definitely getting a glint in their eye! The
rooks have been making a lot of noise and have been squabbling in their
pre-nesting fashion but we think that might be because the poor things are 3
trees short this year and are making earlier claims to space than usual.
There's a bank of hawthorn on the way up to Holne which is always the first
to come out near here. *We'll have to try a drive up there tomorrow. *But
today we have thick fog and I can barely see beyond the hedge at the end of
the nursery path.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Here in our part of South Wales, I've given up, still fighting this
horendous cold I have and dressed accordingly to go shopping I got
home almost passing out with over heating, Just checked and the temp
here in the shade is 56f, a lovely April day
I just wish more days on our holiday had been as warm.
An afternoon of watching rugby for me. I still have loads of bulbs to
plant but what the hell, another day wont hurt them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

What sort of bulbs David?

Judith- Hide quoted text -

A whole range of bulbs Judith, Species daffs and large flowering ones,
some special crocus, with a load I planted in 40's trays before we
went away which I am planting like plugs, Tulips, 4 special varieties
of Muskari and more.
Hope to get them planted or potted in the next few days.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries