Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Spring already?

On 9/2/08 17:58, in article , "robert"
wrote:

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
About a mile away from us is a roundabout over the M4 and on the
aproach road there is a Hawthorn that is always the first into leaf,
and is my indicator of springs timing,
Last year it came into leaf mid to late Feb.
Well I went passed it today for the first time since we came back
from our Holls and it is well into leaf and quite green, must have
started about 2 weeks ago.
That makes it about 3 weeks earlier than last year, and that was
earlier than normal.
I must check for frogs spawn.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Glorious day here in Devon, cloudless blue sky, and now a spectacular
sunset, although we could see a bank of fog which did not appear to lift
from moor all day. Sat on the terrace and enjoyed the birdsong and a
Guinness until some wretch ruined the idyl with a chain saw.

Hawthorn leaves are showing and lots of stuff in bud. The clumps of
native primrose have been in flower for three weeks and a solitary
snowdrop from an Autumn planting has appeared. Miniature daffodils
started flowering last week.

First pair of amorous frogs spotted in the pond on 19 January but no
spawn as yet - last year it first turned up on 13 February

No fog this morning, Robert? Lucky you! We went to Yealmpton for dinner at
the Rose & Crown tonight (Superb!) and found some drifts of fog on the way
home. It's pretty cold and a very clear night, too.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk