Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Potting composts

Therefore writes
Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged , is
it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

It's partly you ;-)

All composts will get waterlogged if the drainage is not adequate. Make
sure all your containers have drainage holes.

All composts will eventually get dry if not watered. But some (the peat
based or coir based) are more difficult to get wet again. It helps if
you stand your container on a saucer or tray to catch the water that
runs straight through - you can then water it and let it stand in the
water in the tray for a few hours until the water has been soaked back
up.

A lot of people prefer to avoid peat based composts on environmental
grounds, peat being a rapidly declining habitat. So that leaves loam
based composts or peat free ones based on coir or other substances
(though I gather there are concerns about coir because of the
transportation costs).

If you go peat free, soilless, the Arthur Bowers New Horizon has a good
reputation.
--
Kay