Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default oriental lilies

"danny" wrote ...

I've just potted eight oriental lily bulbs. i want them to really thrive
and be all they can be - anyone got any tips? i hear they love water,
but i dont want to drown them! does anyone have any tips?

also, if anyone can help with the jasmine thread i posted before please
do, im desperate lol

Most of the UK suffers from Lilly Beetle, a bright red beetle that eats
lilies, totally. You will see they look nothing like any other red beetle
and they drop to the ground if you don't get them first time. They will
attack your plants as soon as they start to grow so check daily and pick off
and crush any you find. Once the plants are growing well it is best to spray
with a systemic insecticide which will allow the plants to grow to their
full potential and make a good food store for next season.
I find a few waterings with Seaweed Extract helps as does using ericaceous
liquid feed. I've never considered them to like being wet, indeed our front
garden can be quite dry (S. facing) but they grow well there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden