Old 11-02-2008, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default parasene weed wand/"paraffin burner"

Nick Maclaren says...

In article ,
Fred writes:

| The allotment chairman suggested I use a paraffin burner to clear the
| allotment. What is one of those? I saw a couple of other allotment
| people carrying parasene weed wands; do you think he meant this and I
| misheard him? How good are they? I thought they had poor reviews on
| this group? What do you do with them, just scorch the weeds and dig
| them up a week later?

In general, they are just a waste of time. You use them just as you
say, and they don't do anything except burn off the tops. Spraying
with very dilute glyphosate and waiting until it has taken effect
works better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ditto what Nick says. Paraffin burners are just for
entertainment value. Trouble is the weeds get the last
laugh.

It seems there are lots of gardening associated products
for sale with negligible benefit. I suppose while people
keep buying them manufacturers will keep making them.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.