Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default My Garden in the Auvergne

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:37:50 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 9/2/08 15:32, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

[]
As I continue my ramble here, I bought 36 packets of seeds yesterday
at Lidl, I think it was Martin who educated me on the value of Lidl
and I went when I saw their advert in Issoire. I will try black
carrot this year as I have never had it before. I couldn't get
parsnip seed so I will be in the UK in 2 weeks time and I will get it
there.

For some reason, parsnips seem to be almost unknown in France. I think the
French is 'panais'? I've read this over and over again in many different
articles. I'm indifferent to them, myself but Ray absolutely adores them.
One of my daughters hates them so much that she leaves the room when I'm
peeling them. Cunning ploy, eh?! ;-)

[]

Panais indeed. They are a forgotten vegetable here, but have recently been
making a bit of a come back. A family in our village grows veg commercially,
they have started doing them. You can sometimes even get them at the
supermarket.

In the reasonably local town of Argentan one of the top dogs is (this being France)
a well known philosopher. He's started a free "University of Taste" where once per
month a famous chef comes and elocutes on some ingredient: "the tomato,"
"the turnip," etc. They did one on the parsnip some months ago, very successful
I'm told! All this will be coming to a cooking channel near you, just desserts for
making the rest of the world deal with Jamie Oliver (Ramsey was bad enough!)

As chance would have it we were short of taters for dinner last night, and were
out with a flashlight looking for parsnips to supplement. Didn't find, but in the
light of day today there were 6 fat ones left.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to