Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Getting rid of fish

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:34:19 CST, Chip wrote:

Whoa--- I have just retired and decided that I want to convert my pool
into a natural fish pond so I can save the work of pool maintainance.
What am I missing here? Many books, articles,and people on this list
say that with proper design, pumps, and veggie filters a pond is
virtually maintainance free. Something doesn't jive. As I live in
Phoenix, there is no winter, just spring and HOT summer. Will that make
it harder or easier to maintain?

Chip

Easier, imo. My biggest job is fall when I have to cover them due to leaf
drop, and change things to prepare for winter. (See website)

Filter maintenance is based on how well you build that filter, and
sometimes that takes money. If people have it, like my sister, she put in
vortex filters. Plug a gate valve and the muck drains away.

My DYI filter is a bit more work, but by over sizing it, the maintenance is
rare. Once/year for the bio-filters and 4-5 times/year for the pre-filter.
I guess that is one thing I could have done different with little extra
cost, put a bottom drain in the pre-filter with either a pull plug or
valve, so I wouldn't have to wet vac it out. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us