Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default My Garden in the Auvergne

On Feb 11, 5:41*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Emery Davis says...

As chance would have it we were short of taters for dinner last night, and were
out with a flashlight looking for parsnips to supplement. *Didn't find, but in the
light of day today there were 6 fat ones left.

Today I dug up the last of the parsnips. There were quite a
few left so it looks like we'll be having parsnip chips too
for a week or two. Yum!
--
David in Normandy. * *
*To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

Parsnips (panais in French) were one of those so-so discoveries I made
when I arrived in Ireland. They were not sold in France in my youth,
and never grown in our cabbage patch.
The way they used to be cooked here (boiled, then mashed up, sometimes
in association with carrots) never did it for me.
But with greater culinary adventurousness spreading like wildfire
through the British Isles, I discovered the roasting option.
Delicious with other veg such as butternut squash and sweet potatoes,
with a tiny drizzle of honey, salt and pepper.
I'm drooling...
What does the OP mean by "black carrots"? Are we talking salsify? To
me, that's the opposite of the parsnip. I was raised on salsify, but
no-one had ever heard of it here. To this day, the only way to get
some is to grow it yourself - which I do, religiously, from Lidl seeds
every year ;-).
Cat(h)