Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Colorful Shrub???

In article
,
ron wrote:

I'm looking for a shrub for the middle of the lawn to replace a young
Japanese Maple that a late frost killed.

The ideal would:
(1) Be suitable for the borderline of Zones 6 and 7.
(2) Be as colorful as possible for as lomg as possible.
(3) Full sun location with good drainage.
(4) As hearty as reasonably possible in regards to disease/insects and
water needs.
(5) Full height at maturity of at least 4 feet with no upper limit on
height.

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kerria japonica. Look for the single white flower.

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/pa...ch_results.php

A place to start.

Middle of the lawn throws me. I think a nook would be the way to go.

Have fun!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant
a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold