Old 13-02-2008, 05:34 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Conservation - as fake as a £9 note
Essential services are largely
being starved of cash, whilst millions of pounds are being thrown at
an industry which is about as fake as a nine pound note. Indeed, if
this industry operated in the high street, it would probably be closed
down for misrepresentation or downright fraud.
All this while our country is descending into "third world" status at
an alarming rate.
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
The traditional saying refers to a nine-bob note.

Do you have an estimate, in pounds money, of the size of the "conservation industry" you refer to. I bet it is rather small in comparison to the essential services you say are being sacrificed. In fact in relation to the value to society it provides, I rather suspect it is being underfunded. Never have we been wealthier. We can afford to spend some money reinstating our trashed environment, and it is good value for money. Whether it is well done is another matter, but then few things in the public sector are well done.

Consumer goods are sold in teh high street. Public services are not, so it is a false comparison.

Our country descending into 3rd world status? Never has the gap between us and the poorest nations been greater. Both the private economy and the public services are at much their highest point ever, and continue growing. We have migrated away from a 3rd world economy to a knowledge-based economy based on services and high value added manufactures, leaving the extractive and heavy industries in the third world. It is Australia that is the 3rd world economy with a 1st world life style. No, I'm not a politician nor an apologist for any particular interest group.

Nonsense is also ridiculed and opposed, so Schopenhauer isn't much of a comfort.

I suspect if you go back and look at the past, as you might these days through watching old TV programs on DVD, you'll discover that a lot of things were worse then; you just weren't as aware of the opportunities for doing better then.