Old 13-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Olde Hippee Olde Hippee is offline

Default Getting rid of fish

On Feb 13, 12:04 am, "old dirtbeard" wrote:
Hi all,

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does one
get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is astonishing
rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need to cull them.

The term cull is used loosely here as we rescue rabbits from the animal
shelters, "save" bees that get into the swimming pool, catch and release
spiders found in the house, etc.

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess. I thought about contacting PetCo and
seeing if they would take them for resale (I don't like the idea of them
being used as feed, though).

I really don't know - what is the humane way to deal with fish
overpopulation? Thank you.

best,

doug

I bartered fish for products with local Agway dealer here in DE one
year.
RM sorry it is time to quit the koi ponding, but I understand the work
that can be too much.
As for the snapping turtles can you say Terrapin Soup??? and nope,
I'm not volunteering to catch and kill for ya!! Maybe you could grow
your own escargot???
Good luck with your retirement, DH retired 18 mos ago and it is
wonderful. We are doing more with the yard each year. Our pond is
needing some work with the filtration right now, but we have some
ideas as to easier ways to do it. Our home made filtration surely
isn't state of the arts by any means, but had kept the koi healthy if
not always visible due to algae since uv light died. If it gets to be
too much, or when it gets to be too much it willo get filled in and
planted with no9 regret for the happiness we've had from it. Son
inlaw's brother had a koi pond so he can have fish and give away the
ones he doesn't want. None of em are really good koi, and we're ok
with that. We quit buying good fish when they kept dying and the
cheaper ones didn't. They look pretty to the untrained eye.
Happy 'no' ponding, enjoy your retirement.
Nan in DE