Old 14-02-2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Michael Pollan

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/14/08 9:36 AM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/2/1...se_of_food_aut
hor_journalis t

February 13, 2008

In Defense of Food: Author, Journalist Michael Pollan on
Nutrition, Food Science and the American Diet

Acclaimed author and journalist Michael Pollan argues that
what most Americans are consuming today is not food but
ŗedible food-like substances.˛ His previous book, The
Omnivorešs Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, was
named one of the ten best books of 2006 by the New York
Times and the Washington Post. His latest book, just
published, is called In Defense of Food: An Eateršs
Manifesto.

i dunno... i'd argue with the edible part. "food-like"
certainly covers most prepackaged stuff though.
i wonder though, do the people who *should* read these books
actually read them, or are the readers those who already know
that American prepackaged food is crap read them & just feel
smug? is he reaching the proper audience, or just preaching to
the choir?
lee

Like the man said,"The proof is in the pudding." If your not willing to
try it, I guess you'll never know and, just have to go on wondering.

I've read him (and others in his general vein) in the past. I suspect I'll
nab Omnivore one of these days, but right now, I do my best to feed my
family well and that's all I can do.

Hey, that's the best any of us can do but best is also a function of
knowledge. The "Omivore's Dilemma" is not a book from a general vein of
books. "Ommivore's Dilemma" is the new gold standard. Before I read
"Omnivore's Dilemma", I didn't know that insects attacked vegetable
leaves because that is where the nitrogen from "chem ferts" is stored. I
didn't know about phto-nutrients. I didn't realize that we eat more corn
per capita than Mexicans. I didn't understand that impoverished farmers
and poorly fed citizens could track the cause back to Cargill and ADM. I
didn't know the that omega-3 fatty acids in animals were a function of
them eating grasses. I wasn't aware that we could all be eating well, if
the government only put its' price supports behind healthy foods.

Without the knowledge to choose, your just rolling the dice with your
food choices.

The interview with Michael Pollan takes about 32 minutes. Do you have 32
minutes to give to your family's health?
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/