Old 14-02-2008, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris[_3_] Chris[_3_] is offline

Default Carrot root fly

In article , someone
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
On 12 Feb, 10:12, Chris ] wrote:
Last year our carrots were ruined by carrot root fly.

snip work. How do professional growers manage?

I worked on an organic farm for several years, and we laid about half an
acre of plastic mesh screen (about 2mm mesh) over our carrots. When it came
to harvesting them it would take three of us to roll up several yards of
screen lengthwise and then dig them out through the length, replacing the
screen afterwards. It took a lot of effort but it worked.

How was it held down?
Buried at the edges?
Was it flat on the ground after sowing?
Did the carrots push it up as they grew?
--
Chris