Old 14-02-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Michael Pollan

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

Like the man said,"The proof is in the pudding." If your
not willing to try it, I guess you'll never know and, just
have to go on wondering.

huh? did you not read what i wrote? i do not like preprocessed
food. i do most of my cooking/baking from scratch & with whole
grain flours. those are the flavors i enjoy.
what i'm asking is if these books are getting to the people
who don't know what real food is, or if it's only people who
already reject the plastic food that read them.
lee

Who do you think "should" read "these types" of books (just another same
ol'). What is the "proper audience"? If you can't be bothered, don't
read the book. If you know all that is known about nutrition, then you
don't need to read the book. But Pollan has brought the message of why
industrial foods are bad to the 21st century. The forging of the diverse
food movements into a single low carbon, healthy, slow food movement
seems to have been precipitated by "Omnivore's Dilemma". What do feed
lots have to do with cardio-vascular disease, when there are cultures
that eat more meat than our's and don't suffer the same consequences?
What does high fructose corn syrup have to do with obesity and type II
diabetes? What are all those strange ingredients listed on the back of a
cookie package? Is organic worth the extra price? Why are small
mono-culture farmers having such a rough time surviving?

As Bill Wagner has pointed out, we now have a two tiered food system
(industrial and industrial-organic). What is the difference? Obviously,
Pollan mainly reaches the literate among us: people who read books.
Knowing that the supermarket is filled with life threatening products
(crap as you say) does not make me feel "smug" or, is that your way of
feeling superior? If you wanted to explain to someone why processed food
is bad, could you?

You will pleased to know that Pollan says in his most recent book,"Don't
eat anything that your great grand mother wouldn't have recognized as
food". He also suggests eating from the edges of the store, where the
meat, cheese, and the produce is.

If your not curious what the fuss is about or, if you just don't care,
don't read the book. I mean, if you know where all the furniture in the
room is, why turn on the light?

The Omnivorešs Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, was named one
of the ten best books of 2006 by the New York Times and the Washington
Post. (yawn . . .)
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars