Old 15-02-2008, 03:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Peach drooling

Terryc wrote:
FarmI wrote:

They haven't started eating your house or trees or nippin of the top
of vegetables for 'fun' I assume ;-))

Is anyone feeding other birds close by?

I have a theory that if people feed other birds, then the white
cockatoo, etc also comes down for a look and then ends up doing what
comes naturally; chewing through house wood looking for grubs.

Our blocks have 5 large gums in the backyard which are favourite rest/
get together places for white cockatoos and others, but in the 24 years
we have been here, they have never attacked any house or other wood.
Yep, the gum gets it regularly.

As to veges. right under the tree, but they have never come down to
them. It might be flight lines, aka lack of long take off runs.

I notice that they feast on exotic pine nuts on 2m-3m high pines in
other front gardens in the street and higher ones in other back yards.

Years ago, someone posted here that the best way of keeping unwanted
native birds out of one's property was to display one or two large
rubber snakes in clear view. Apparently, it was an effective deterrent
and might be worth a try? Maybe the cockies might even be put off by an
old length of hose on your roof?

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia