Old 15-02-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How deter moles from lawn?

Eddy says...

Guys, how do I locate the hole! :-)

Moles back-fill the tunnel that leads to the hill by a few
inches, sometimes more. So finding a tunnel below a hill
can sometimes be difficult. Bear in mind that such a tunnel
is typically a dead end so the mole may not go there again
(or often).

Best to find a tunnel. I look for very small mole hills or
simply a small bit of raised lawn where the ground looks
like it is cracking. Dig carefully and you will uncover a
tunnel.

I think moth balls are an old wives tale or urban legend.
They are useless. Though they may keep the moths out of
it's mole skin coat :-)

I've put all sorts of obnoxious things down mole tunnels
with no success at making them move on.

The best thing to put in a tunnel is a double bladed
scissor trap, taking care not to handle it with bare hands
(I always wear gloves) because apparently moles have a keen
sense of smell. Then carefully cover the hole again to
exclude any daylight. I use some broken plant pot bits to
put immediately on top of each side of the traps to stop
earth falling into it and fouling the scissor blades from
closing properly.

If you buy some scissor traps it is best to leave them out
in the rain for a few days to wash off any human smells.
I leave mine in soak in some water from the water butt
overnight. Don't worry about the slight rust film.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.