Old 15-02-2008, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Cyclamen

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
John Rye writes:

| First point crudely there are 2 groups of cyclamen :-
|
| The large flowered ones which are not hardy and need a protected environment

Yes. The species of C. persicum isn't as tender as the large flowered
hybrids, some of which seem to give up as soon as the temperature gets
close to freezing.

| The small flowered ones which are pretty hardy and may even survive outdoors
| in sheltered spots.

It's actually more that they require protection from winter wet.

That seems more logical. Mine seem to have positively enjoyed a north
facing aspect in troughs and baskets. Question is, what to do with them
over the summer given that I have to move them somewhere

C. coum can take -15 Celsius, to my certain knowledge, in the rain
shadow of a conifer. C. hederifolium is supposed to be comparable
to C. coum.

I don't know it, but the native one (C. europaeum, sowbread) may
well be more damp-resistant but perhaps less hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.