Old 15-02-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How deter moles from lawn?

Eddy says...
Thanks for the advice, David.

How far down are the tunnels?

Do the tunnels run parallel with the surface of the ground?

Do you locate the tunnel by digging in a clockwise or anti-clockwise
direction around the mole hill, i.e. just beyond the perimeter of the
mole-hill, until you strike lucky?

Eddy.

If you find the mini-hills / small raised bits of lawn then
they are typically only one or two inches directly below
the surface, which makes them ideal candidates for traps.

Dig with something small like a stout garden trowel - a
spade is OTT, you need to disturb the minimum amount of
earth around a tunnel. Wear gloves to avoid leaving any
human scents on the soil.

I've heard others say they use a cane or stick to probe for
the tunnels but I haven't tried this myself, so don't know
how easy it is.

I'm still something of a beginner with all this myself.
Scissor traps are the only thing I've had any success with
getting rid of moles - and that is only recently too, it
seems to take a bit of a knack to set the traps in exactly
the right way in the right place. I suggest you buy two or
three, they aren't expensive. I've got four set in
different parts of the lawn and check them once a week,
moving them elsewhere at the same time to new earthworks.
I've caught two moles in the last month but there are still
more to get based on the amount of fresh hill activity.

Waste of time setting the traps in the tunnels that
terminate in a big hill, the moles just seem to shove more
earth into the traps which sets them off but no mole
caught. Always go for the mini hills which have a
continuous tunnel underneath them - a mole motorway.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.