Old 16-02-2008, 11:27 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default recommendations for...

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
neil wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
sorry, i know these "recommendation" threads can be a bit tiresome :-)

has anyone any ideas on either a shortish vine (to 3m) or perhaps a
visually interesting bush of some sort, that could be planted thusly:

1: total shade, never gets sunny, never really warm (south side of the
house, corrugated tin wall)
2: in a pot (the ground there is concreted)
3: copes with cold & frost (to perhaps -6 or -7 in winter at the worst)
& practically no eaves
4: reasonably quick-growing
5: if a vine, not strong - i don't want it pulling it's trellis down or
anything like that - the wall wouldn't cope!

is there such a thing?

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
kylie

This is a tricky one... My thought would be to try a sasanqua camellia
and maybe espalier onto the trellis. I have one in total shade on the
south side of my house and it does well. And once they get started they
are quick growing.

Good luck.
Neil.

That's a good idea! I've got three japonicas in almost total shade and
they're doing pretty well too, only somehow I think it's only by
accident...

thanks people. i'll have to investigate those suggestions! cheers.
kylie