Old 16-02-2008, 11:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where?

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

potatoes are rather a mystery to me, & they caused me some outright panic
last year (but i talked myself down ;-) i hope more experience will help
with this ;-)

I think everything is a mystery until you actually grow it in your plot of
land.

well, yes. but those things which grow underground are particularly
mysterious!

OR, get them at the ag shop;

We have a feed place nearby and I'll try them as the months go by.

worth trying.

only because they're more likely to have come from somewhere closer.

Trouble is that I do not know of any commercial or large scale growers
around here. Dormitory suburbs abound. The only growers are further out
and definitly asian market gardeners from what we can see.

but you don't know until you ask them. :-)

as an aside, i was watching a yank medical show one time, where a patient
had cadmium poisoning from smoking pot grown in car tyres. because of
that, i have been nervous about growing taties in car tyres lest we all
get cadmium poisoning. is there any information on this?! (am i just
being hysterical?)

Various problems
1) TV medical show =/= reality.
2) Growing pot; cue shock horror promo like teen flick horror movie
3) Reusing =/= commie subversive to american way of life.

lmao :-)

Anything on a TV show is suspect right from the start. TV is for
entertainment and propaganda. Far more interesting TV if it involves shock
horror; POT.

Practically, different plant, different family, take up different
nutrient, etc. Age of tyres, make of tyres, type of tyres, where were the
tyres manufactured. Why is cadium added to tyres?

oh, look i don't know. because americans are loons? whatever the show was, i
don't watch it regularly, so i might just carry on regardless. the reason i
DON'T watch medical shows (as a rule) is because they're so
extreme-disease-of-the-week. same with american cop shows
(extreme-serial-killer-of-the-week). etc etc.

If it really was cadium, it most likely was a contaminant in fertilisers
used. My last pack of trace elements had more contaminants that nutirients
including mercury, cadium, etc, etc, etc

THIS would actually make more sense. (heavy metals in car tyres????!)
kylie