Old 17-02-2008, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default How high water head for toilet cistern

0tterbot wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Since Sydney seems to have gone back to wettish weather and the tanks are
mostly full, I figure it is now time to get serious about using rainwater
(and grey water?) for toilet flushing.

you don't want to use grey water for toilet flushing unless you make it so
that the excess (which there will be, unless you have a household of at
least 10 incontinents ;-) goes on the garden.

If we go full greywater, we will probably dump the excess down the sewer
unless we have a dry period. It isn't practical to keep flooding
grass/lawns and having to keep mowing it every fortnight. Maybe
occassionally on the front native plant garden in extended dry.

If you follow the yellow/mello mantra, you actually use very little
toilet water.

I am totally oppossed to grey water on food crops.

I would not recycle grey water for cloths washing either unless I could
run it through a bio-bed, which is a long term possibility.

It probably makes more sense and might be just as cost effective to
convert one toilet to composting.