Old 16-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Red Spider Mite?? HELP!!!

danny22 writes

When I got home today, I saw that 2 of the new shoots out of twelve of
my jasmine looked like they'd been cut off near the soil.

Sounds like slug or snail damage.

When I
looked closer, I saw a little bug - i crushed it so quickly i dont
remember much about it, other than it was small and a rusty colour. is
this a red spider mite?

No, as someone else has said. And red spider do not bite shoots off.
They are sap suckers.

Your bug may well have been a beetle which feeds upon plant eating bugs
- its worth not rushing to kill something until you are sure what it is
and what it is doing.

i saw some bug killer at the store that said it
would get rid of all types of mites, is it worth me doing this? if
there was one, is there likely to be loads more? i have looked, both
on the surface and on the plant and not seen anything.

if anyone can help, let me know

thanks all!

--
Kay